“Purpose is the why behind everything within an organization,” says author John Baldoni, of the book, Lead With Purpose.
Baldoni also believes that it is up to leaders to make certain that organizational purpose is understood and acted upon. And, to harness the talents of their employees, leaders must recognize their responsibility to instill purpose in the workplace.
Other recommendations include:
- Make purpose a central focus
- Instill purpose in others
- Make employees comfortable with ambiguity
- Turn good intentions into great results
- Make it safe to fail (as well as prevail)
- Develop the next generation
To define an organization’s purpose, you must ask three questions:
- We follow leaders not because they bring us down, but because they lift our spirits with their attitude, words, and examples.
- No job is complete without a review. Look at what went right as well as what went wrong. Understand that failure is not grounds for dismissal.